Animal/Facility Care Attendant Job Description
Minimum age requirement is 16 years old
High school degree or in the process of attaining
Competently speak and write the English language.
Cleaning and Animal care background is desirable, but not required
· Genuinely enjoys working with large, small and exotic animals and is able to deal with them even when they are stressed, ill or in pain.
· Must be available to work weekends and holidays to be considered for an animal care attendant position.
· Physical Effort: Work requires lifting and carrying animals and food bags (will be assisted by other staff members in lifting animals over 40 lbs). Walks or stands for extended periods or time; frequently works in a bent position.
· Working conditions: May be exposed to unpleasant odors, noises and animal feces. May be exposed to bites, scratches and contagious diseases.
The range for the position is Minimum wage to $11.00 per hour.
Benefits are outlined in the employee manual and are separate from the hourly wage.
· Commit to our Cornerstones of Culture
· Know and follow daily the Cornerstones of Community
· Be growing in the Cornerstones of Character
· Be familiar with our History
· Know the Brochures available
· Read Client Testimonials
· Be familiar with our Payment Options
· Be able to provide clients with our Location
· Participate in a Training
· Receive basic Computer Training
· Consent to and understand the Clinic’s policy of Continuing Education
· Learn staff names through Introductions
· Competently utilize our computer software
· Coordinate transfers or movement of pets with the front desk and/or veterinarians.
· Familiarize and follow OSHA regulations
· Complete the Safety Manual and Quiz
· Follow isolation procedures for contagious or potentially contagious animals. Using the designated products and dilutions for disinfectants, properly disinfect your shoes, hands, and clothing before leaving isolation areas.
· Maintain constant vigilance regarding open doorways that could allow pets/livestock to escape from the facility.
· Follow established facility closing procedures to ensure the security of patients, boarders, and the building.
· Thoroughly understand and follow the Customer Service Plan
· Assist clients in checking boarding patients in and out
· Provide Clients with facility tours
· Understand and be able to direct clients to different areas of our Website
· Daily provide C.A.A.R.E. to our patients
· Aid veterinarians and technicians in evaluating incoming animals through examinations and health tests. Assist in administering immunizations.
· Maximize pets’ comfort with a gentle and reassuring manner.
· Trim nails competently
· Brush Patients teeth
· Provide basic grooming care
Cornerstones of Health
· Understand and be able to thoroughly explain Deworming Requirements
· Understand and be able to thoroughly explain Vaccine Requirements
· Understand and provide Grooming
· Understand and provide appropriate Nutrition for our guests
· Understand and work with Behavior issues
· Understand and be able to thoroughly explain Health Consultations
Cornerstones of Care
· Be familiar with Medical Abbreviations
· Understand normal post Anesthesia recovery
· Administer Heart Medications if necessary understanding side effects
· Collect diagnostic samples if necessary
· Know how to brush teeth
· Know how to handle Emergencies
· Set up and clean Endoscopy equipment
· Competently participate in Euthanasia procedures
· Hospitalization (Treat, Monitor, Invoice)
· Assist in radiology
· Understand function and operation of Internal Medicine equipment and cases
· Help with Neurology boarding cases
· Review Oncology hospitalization care requirements
· Set up for Ophthalmology tasks
· Prepare for Orthopedic cases in surgery
· Understand and participate with our Pharmacy and inventory process
· Assist with Reproductive Care
· Prep and clean Surgery equipment
· Understand and operate within our marketing strategies
· Understand Payroll and Benefits
· Invoice out services and inventory
· Participate in new Employee Training
· Participate in all staff and training meetings.
· Be willing and able to teach other staff members kennel skills
· Cooperate with and understand the Employee Manual
· Complete New Hire Forms
· Complete Personal Data Base Entry
· Maintain strict confidentiality regarding clients and patients for whom the practice provides veterinary services.
· Maintain accurate kennel records that include the number, type, and locations of boarders, special diets and requirements, your observations of boarders, and treatments or medications administered.
Cages and Kennels
· Follow procedures for cleaning and disinfecting cages and runs.
· Maintain kennel as directed by the practice or kennel manager.
· Maintain Landscape as necessary
· Ensure the proper functioning of facility care equipment. Bring malfunctions to the attention of the kennel manager.
· Evaluate and stock facility locations with supplies and inventory necessary for daily services and sales.